Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Horrible jobs

Being a not-slumlord is hard work. We could just buy a filthy house, shampoo the carpets, spray on a coat of white paint and call it good. But that's not how we roll.


Here's bedroom #1. Notice the wallpaper border (which is barely attached), sagging closet shelf, hideous wall color, and painfully awful carpet. I spent a good afternoon removing wallpaper, scrubbing walls, sweeping the cobwebs off the ceiling, and spackling. I spackled 131 holes in this tiny bedroom. What are people doing to put 131 holes in a single room? They must have had an extensive collection of fine art.

This is job number 1. It's going to be nice to have at least one room in the house that's completely free of horribleness, because right now there is not a single room that is pleasant to be in.

Also on the list of horrible jobs: dead mouse removal. I did one, but then I got the heebie-jeebies and my sweet husband removed the next two. Strong, empowered women can do anything they want to. But every so often they just don't feel like being strong or brave. Especially if someone else will do the horrible job for them.

4 comments:

  1. So fun to read your posts, Becky! "Strong, empowered women can do anything they want to. But every so often..." Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miriam! I'm sure you can relate; there must be horrible discoveries every so often in your basement or garden shed!

      Delete
  2. I think those were probably errant dart throws. Residents there were not very good! Grandpa J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darts, I hadn't thought about that! I bet you're right, that would explain the constellations of small holes in the walls. Pretty sure I found the big dipper yesterday in the kitchen.

      Delete